Travel Medical Insurance
Global Village Program
A portion of your work trip fee established by your team leader
covers the cost of insurance coverage. Through paying your fee,
you will automatically be insured against accidental loss of life,
limb, sight, speech or hearing while participating in volunteer
activities sponsored and supervised by Habitat for Humanity.
This mandatory insurance coverage is consistent with policies
recommended by Habitat for Humanity International’s Legal
department and ratified by the HFHI board of directors on Feb.
10, 1994. The coverage is designed to ensure a comprehensive
risk management program and to provide protection to Habitat’s
Global Village trip volunteers.
We have a serious commitment to risk management and
assume everyone is willing to comply.
Note: Covered medical expenses incurred for treatment
of a pre-existing condition are limited to a maximum
of $50,000. “Pre-existing condition” means any injury or
illness that was contracted or that manifested itself, or for
which treatment or medication was prescribed, prior to
the effective date of this insurance.
To file a claim, consult with the team leader immediately and
request a claim form. See “Quick Tips for Filing a Claim”
(below) for proper procedures and assistance in filing a claim.
Specifications, Provisions and Exclusions
Coverage is sold on a per-day basis and commences at the
actual start of the trip from the insured’s residence or designated
departure point. Coverage terminates immediately upon
return to the insured’s residence or designated return point,
or at the end of the published itinerary.
Note: Anyone traveling five days before or five days after
their official team dates is offered (automatically) the same
coverage at no additional cost. Unfortunately, no other
extensions of this coverage are available. You must be sure
to properly insure yourself for all other personal travel.
The policy does not cover loss caused by or resulting
from any of the following: intentionally self-inflicted injuries;
suicide while sane; attempted suicide while sane; pregnancy,
childbirth or miscarriage; accident occurring while a passenger
on, operating or learning to operate, or serving as a
crew member of any aircraft. Injuries or sickness sustained
while under the influence of drugs (other than prescribed)
or alcohol are not covered. Injuries or illness sustained while
racing or committing or attempting to commit a felony are
not covered. This is a general summary, but it is still subject
to the policy terms, conditions and exclusions.
Medical assistance for Global Village team members is available
24 hours a day, seven days a week. It includes the following:
• Medical evacuation and repatriation benefit. Your expenses
up to $150,000 will be covered in the case that accidental
bodily injury, disease or illness requires your medical
evacuation or repatriation while on a covered trip.
• Multilingual MEDEX assistance specialists.
• Assistance in locating the nearest, most appropriate
• International MEDEX preferred provider networks.
• MEDEX program medical advisors (physician) consultative
and advisory services, including review of appropriateness
and analysis of medical care.
• Assistance in establishing contact with family, personal
physician and employer, as appropriate.
• Monitoring progress during treatment and recovery.
• Emergency message transmittal services.
• Translation services and referrals to local interpreters, as
• Verification of insurance coverage facilitating entry and
admissions to hospitals and other medical care providers.
• Special assistance regarding the coordination of direct
• Emergency funds transfers.
• Coordination of embassy and consulate services.
• Management, arrangement and coordination of emergency medical transportation, as necessary.
• Management, arrangement and coordination of repatriation of remains.
• Knowledgeable legal referral assistance.
• Coordination of securing bail bonds and other legaldocuments.
• Special assistance in replacing lost or stolen travel documents,including passport.
• Courtesy assistance in securing incidental aid and othertravel-related services.
• Special assistance in making arrangements for interrupted or disrupted travel plans resulting from emergency situations, including:
1. The return of unaccompanied travel companions.
2. Travel to the bedside of a stranded person.
3. Rearrangement of ticketing due to accident or illness and other travel-related emergencies. 4. The return of stranded motor vehicles and related personal items.
Covered Services Per Volunteer Benefits
Medical Accident or Sickness. . . . . . . $250,000 Max.
Deductible. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . None
Coverage (%) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 100%
Permanent Total Disability . . . . . . . . . . . . $250,000
Emergency Medical Evacuation . . . . . . . . $150,000
Accidental Death & Dismemberment. . . . . . $250,000
Repatriation of Remains . . . . . . . . . . . . . $150,000
Medical Assistance Services . . . . . . . . . . . MEDEX
Quick Tips for Filing a Claim
Policy 6404-54-47 MEDEX Code CHB
1. Notify your Global Village team leader of any accident
or need for medical attention as soon as possible.
2. Your team leader will supply you with an accident claim
form that needs to be completed and sent to Habitat
Claims Unit c/o Chubb Group of Insurance Co. Details
are on the form.
3. Be certain the attending physician completes the
“Physician’s Report” section of the claim form, including
diagnostic/treatment, signature and date.
4. Obtain a copy of the hospital/clinic invoices and make
copies of all prescriptions/invoices and submit same
with the claim form.
5. Have your team leader sign the form.
6. Claims must be submitted within 90 days from the date
of the accident/injury/illness.
Important: If assistance is needed in identifying an appropriate
medical provider or facility, contact MEDEX at (800)
527-0218 or collect at (410) 453-6330. MEDEX code is CHB.
Urgent Care and Evaluation: If emergency evacuation
and/or urgent care are needed, contact MEDEX immediately.
MEDEX will make all the appropriate arrangements.
See phone numbers above.
Note: Even if the claim amount is considered too small for
submission, or it is determined by diagnostic evaluation that
the condition may not be serious or requires no further medical
treatment at the time, the Global Village program and its
underwriter recommend completing all of the above steps in
order to establish a basis for admission of a valid claim later.
Toll free numbers are available in some countries as listed
below. You should call collect if the toll free number is
not accepted by the local telephone exchange.
International Toll Free Telephone Access Numbers
Australia and . . . . . . 1-800-127-907
Austria . . . . . . . . . . 0-800-29-5810
Belgium. . . . . . . . . . 0800-1-7759
Brazil . . . . . . . . . . 0800-891-2734
China. . . . . . . 108888-800-527-0218
(North : Beijing, etc)
China. . . . . . . 10811-800-527-0218
(South : Shanghai, etc)
Egypt. . . . 510-0200-1-877-569-4151
Egypt. . . 02-510-0200-1-877-569-4151
(outside of Cairo)
Finland. . . . . . . . . . 0800-114402
France and Monaco. . . 0800-90-8505
Germany. . . . . . . . 0800-1-811401
Greece . . . . . . . 00-800-4412-8821
Hong Kong . . . . . . . . 800-96-4421
Indonesia. . . . . . 001-803-1471-0621
Israel . . . . . . . . . . 1-800-941-0172
Italy, Vatican City . . . . . 800-877-204
and San Marino
Japan . . . . . . . . . . 00531-11-4065
Mexico. . . . . . . . 001-800-101-0061
Netherlands. . . . . . . 0800-022-8662
New Zealand. . . . . . . 0800-44-4053
Philippines. . . . . . 1-800-1-111-0503
Portugal. . . . . . . . . . 0800-84-4266
Republic of . . . . . . . 1-800-409-529
Republic of . . . . . . . . 0800-9-92379
Singapore. . . . . . . . . 800-1100-452
South Korea . . . . 00798-1-1-004-7101
Spain and Majorca. . . . 900-98-4467
Switzerland and . . . . . 0800-55-6029
Thailand. . . . . . 001-800-11-471-0661
Turkey. . . . . . . . 00-800-4491-4834
UK and. . . . . . . . . . 0800-252-074
Northern Ireland, Isle of Jersey,
the Channel Isles and Isle of Man
United States. . . . . . 1-800-527-0218
Canada, Puerto Rico,
U.S. Virgin Islands, Bermuda
MEDEX Assistance Coordination Centers
United States. . . . .  410-453-6330
United Kingdom. .  1-273-223000
Notes:• When a toll free number is not available, travelers are encouraged to call MEDEX collect. The country code precedes the phone number in brackets. The toll free numbers listed are available only when physically calling from within the country.
• The toll free Israel line is not available from payphones and there is a local access charge.
• The toll free Italy, Vatican City and San Marinonumbers have a local charge for access.
• The toll free Japan line is available only from touch-tone phones (including pay phones) equippedfor international dialing.
• If calling from Mexico on a pay phone, the payphone must be a La Datel pay phone.
Global Vilage department : P.O. Box 369 Americus, GA 31709-0369 USA
phone: (229) 924-6935, Ext. 2549; (800) 422-4828 in the U.S. or Canada fax: (267) 295-8714 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org www.habitat.org/gv